Outstanding Academic Advisor Awards
Sponsored by Undergraduate Programs in the Office of the Provost, USC’s Outstanding Academic Advisor Awards recognize the critical role played by advisors in the areas of retention and graduation, and in furthering the University’s mission. Two outstanding academic advisors are selected each year to receive awards of $1500 each.
Award recipients must be academic advisors of undergraduate and/or graduate students, or advising administrators employed as full-time staff at USC. The nominee’s primary job responsibility should be academic advising. Faculty, Lecturers, and Course Instructors are *not* eligible for this award.
Nominations may be submitted by faculty, staff, students, or other members of the Trojan Family.
The Selection Committee will consider evidence of mentoring, advocacy, and outstanding service to students in the following areas:
- Availability to advisees, faculty, or staff
- Consistent use of the USC Advisement Database (undergraduate advisors)
- Mastery of regulations, policies, and procedures
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Proactive use and dissemination of information resources
Counseling and advocacy
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Caring, helpful attitude
- Cultivation of rapport and relationships with advisees
- Assists students in setting goals
- Engages in student advocacy
- Conveys a passion for education and learning
- Helps students link to appropriate faculty and find relevant courses
- Encourages students to pursue scholarships and fellowships
- Helps students integrate their undergraduate/graduate education, curriculum, and experiences into their
- overall personal and professional journey
Connecting to the campus community
- Collaboration with other colleagues and departments
- Involved in programs and events outside home department
- Assists students in creating meaningful connections to the school, their peers, and faculty
- Nominations are due Monday, May 3, 2021.
- Award finalists will be notified by Wednesday, May 5, 2021.
- Winners will be announced at the CAA Conference on Wednesday, June 2, 2021.